Humans are visual creatures. We love seeing color and variety and, most importantly, we love seeing it all in high quality.
Whether it’s your business, personal profile or anything in-between, having good quality photos across your social media platforms is crucial to leaving a great impression on your audience so they keep coming back to consume your content. To achieve this, you need to know the ideal image sizes for your social media posts.
The platforms we’ll be covering in this guide are:
Let’s start with Instagram.
Instagram Ideal Image Sizes
This is a social media platform with over a billion monthly users that’s based around sharing photos and building a recognizable aesthetic, so it’s really important that you follow their image size guidelines to get the best results.
- Your profile picture should be a square photo of 110 x 110 pixels with an aspect ratio of 1:1.
- As for your photo thumbnails (which are the little squares that show up on your profile and then expand once you click on one), they will show up as 161 x 161 pixels. The aspect ratio on these is also 1:1.
- When it comes to your actual photos, their size should be 1,080 x 1,080 pixels, even though Instagram will still scale them back to 612 x 612 pixels. You’ve got more wiggle room with the aspect ratio here, somewhere between 1.91:1 and 4:5.
- If you’re doing portrait photos with 4:5 ratio, the ideal dimensions are 1,080 x 1,350 pixels.
- Note that your photos will show up on your followers’ feed as 510 x 510 pixels.
- Instagram recommends that you take your photos and videos from the app itself, otherwise the resolution will be much lower.
Instagram stories are a different thing altogether and have guidelines of their own that should not be ignored. Stories is a great feature that was introduced to Instagram in recent years and it’s an excellent way to grab your audience’s attention, connect with them, or simply share something that will be gone in 24 hours.
- The minimum resolution is 600 x 1,080 pixels, but Instagram recommends 1,080 x 1,920 pixels.
- Your aspect ratio should be 9:16.
Facebook Best Image Sizes
Despite its many competitors, Facebook remains the #1 social network in the world, and is therefore the place to be if you want to grow your business and stay connected with people and causes that matter to you.
- Your profile picture should not be less than 180 x 180 pixels.
- It will appear differently on different devices. 170 x 170 pixels on desktop and 128 x 128 pixels on smartphones.
- Your profile picture will appear 32 x 32 pixels throughout Facebook.
- The cover photo that introduces your profile/brand to others should be a minimum of 400 x 150 pixels.
- On desktop, the cover photo displays 820 x 312 pixels and 640 x 360 pixels on smartphones.
- Ideally, your cover photo should be a JPG file that’s less than 100 KB in size.
- Same sizes apply for business pages.
Shared photos and links are a bit different and equally important. They’re what your friends and audience see on their news feed and ultimately what they associate you or your brand with. The more engagement your shared photos and links have, the more people they will reach.
- Facebook recommends that your shared photos are 1,200 x 630 pixels, but on the news feed it will appear at the maximum width of 470 pixels.
- For links, the recommended size is 1,200 x 628 pixels, with the option to choose between a rectangular and square photo.
- Rectangular photo (feed): 470 x 246 pixels minimum.
- Rectangular photo (page): 484 x 252 pixels minimum.
- Square photo (feed): 154 x 154 pixels minimum.
- Square photo (page) 116 x 116 pixels minimum.
For Facebook Events, the cover photo used is the first thing your audience will see, so it needs to be fun and clean and not stretched and blurry.
- Minimum dimensions for event cover photos is 470 x 174 pixels, and that’s also how it will show up on people’s feed.
Twitter Ideal Image Sizes
Twitter might be known for quick tweets and fast-paced conversation, but having a visually attractive profile with accurately sized photos is going to decide whether your tweets are being read. To begin, your profile photo on Twitter is what everyone sees when they first come into contact with your profile. It’s what will stick in everyone’s mind, so acing things in that department is perhaps most important on this platform.
- Your profile photo should be square, 400 x 400 pixels.
- The maximum file you can use for your photo is 2 MB, and it can be JPG, PNG or even a GIF if that’s something you’re into.
Now that you’ve captured people’s attention with your profile photo, you need to make them stay and follow your profile. Your header photo is definitely going to help with that, but only if it’s the right size.
- Your header photo should be 1,500 x 500 pixels.
- The maximum file you can use is 5 MB, and once again it can be JPG, PNG, and a GIF.
Instream photos are basically photos that you as a user can attach to any of your tweets, but what you need to remember is that the photo you attach will probably be changed to a smaller version so that it doesn’t take up a lot of space when it shows up in the stream. Set the width of your image to fit the minimum requirements and center it horizontally. That way, even when the image has been collapsed by Twitter, your audience will still be able to see the most important aspects of it.
- When expanded, the minimum is 440 x 220 pixels and a 2:1 ratio.
- The maximum is 1,024 x 512 pixels.
- In stream it will appear 506 x 253 pixels on desktop.
- Maximum file size for photos and gifs is 5 MB on mobile and 15 MB on the web.
YouTube Best Image Sizes
YouTube isn’t just a place for vloggers and influencers, but an excellent platform that brands are starting to take seriously in order to grow their audience, which is no surprise considering it’s a home for more than 1 billion users.
- When it comes to your profile photo, in this instance you can choose whether you’d like a circular or a square photo, but the sizes are the same for both, so it doesn’t really matter.
- It is recommended that you use a photo that’s 800 x 800 pixels which will be displayed as 98 x 98 pixels.
- You can use JPG, GIF, PNG and BMP image types.
Just like with Facebook and Twitter, your YouTube channel’s cover photo is a place where you can get creative and truly showcase your brand’s mood and aesthetic which might play a role in persuading visitors to actually click that ‘subscribe’ button.
- Cover photo size should be 2,560 x 1,440 pixels for web and 1,546 x 423 pixels for mobile users.
- You can use JPG, PNG, GIF, and BMP with the maximum file size of 4 MB.
- Desktop display is 2,560 x 423 pixels.
- Mobile display is 1,546 x 423 pixels.
- TV display is 2,560 x 1,440 pixels.
- Tablet display is 1,855 x 423 pixels.
Video uploads are obviously the core of YouTube and ultimately it’s your content that will set you apart from others. The video guidelines are simple: their aspect ratio must be 16:9 and the recommended dimensions are 1,280 x 720 pixels if you’re aiming for that crisp HD.
LinkedIn Best Image Sizes
Linkedin connects companies and organizations with new employees, so it slightly differs from the platforms we’ve mentioned thus far. It’s got over 460 million users, and it’s a place where people can network and find work opportunities that otherwise wouldn’t be available to them. A great way to introduce yourself on Linkedin and leave a good impression is through your visuals. Here are the ideal image sizes for this platform.
- The recommended size for your profile photo is 400 x 400 pixels, but you can use photos with as much as 20,000 x 20,000 pixels.
- The maximum file size is 10 MB and you may use JPG, PNG and GIF images.
- The background photo on your profile is similar to cover photos on Facebook and Twitter. The recommended size is 1,584 x 396 pixels with a maximum of 4 MB.
- The image types allowed are JPG, PNG, and GIF.
If you’re a brand or a company, the ideal image sizes are slightly different.
- The company logo image size should be 300 x 300 pixels with a maximum file size of 4 MB. It’s the image that will show right next to your brand name and basically represents what your company is all about in a nutshell.
- Accepted image types are JPG, PNG and GIF.
- The square logo is much smaller, 60 x 60 pixels with a maximum of 2 MB. Choose something that will be truly recognizable for your followers.
- Accepted image types are JGP, PNG, and GIF.
Company’s Cover Photo:
- Size should be 1,536 x 768 pixels (minimum is 1,192 x 220 pixels) but it appears as 1,400 x 425 pixels.
- The maximum file size is 4 MB.
- The image types accepted are JPG, PNG, and GIF.
The Banner Image for company profiles is a fairly new feature on LinkedIn. As a brand or a company, this is your opportunity to truly draw in and captivate the person that’s visited your profile, so creativity is key here.
- The ideal image size here is 646 x 220 pixels, which is also the minimum size allowed.
- The image types allowed are JPG, PNG, and GIF.
- The maximum file is 2 MB.
The Hero Image is similar to the banner, but it’s much bigger and you can use it as a space to add something that clearly separates your company from everyone else in your field. It’s an excellent way to attract potential employees whose views align with your own vision and goals.
- The image size should be 1,128 x 376 pixels, which is also the minimum size allowed.
- The maximum file size is 2 MB.
- Image types allowed are JPG, PNG, and GIF.
Shared Image / Link is similar to the Twitter and Facebook features where you can share a photo or an article that is relevant to your company or brand.
- The ideal image size for this image/link should be 1,104 x 736 pixels but it will appear as 552 x 289 pixels.
- Accepted image types are JPG, PNG and GIF.
Pinterest Ideal Image Sizes
The unique thing about Pinterest is that almost all of the content posted there (90%) is external links, which means that you can use it as a way to drive traffic to your website. As always, making sure that you’re using the accurate image sizes is highly important.
- Your profile photo recommended size is 165 x 165 pixels and that’s how it appears on your home page, but on the rest of Pinterest it’ll appear as 32 x 32.
- The image types allowed are JPG and PNG and the maximum size is 10 MB.
When it comes to sizes of the actual pins, one thing to note is that Pinterest will limit the width of the image, but the length will remain unchanged. Large, lengthy images on Pinterest aren’t always practical or audience-favorite, though, so make sure to keep it tasteful.
- The recommended aspect ratio for your images is 2:3 – 1:3.5.
- Pins on the home page will appear as 236 pixels (height is scaled).
- Pins on your boards will also appear as 236 pixels.
- Expanded pins have a minimum width of 600 pixels (height is scaled).
Now, let’s move onto board displays. Pinterest boards are what’s unique about this social platform and your account won’t really take off unless you create some. Always choose cover photos for your boards that describe each board in a nutshell.
- The large thumbnails are 222 x 150 pixels.
- The smaller thumbnails are 55 x 55 pixels.
Sign up to Amplifr to receive stats on reach, impressions, and engagement for all of your posts on any social media account you have
Tumblr Best Image Sizes
Tumblr is a social network that allows you to create a free blog on which you can post practically whatever you want. There aren’t many limits when it comes to one’s creative freedom, as long as you keep it tasteful and within the site’s rules. Currently, Tumblr has over 235 million active blogs. Let’s go over the ideal image sizes for this platform.
- Your profile picture should be 128 x 128 pixels.
- Image types that are allowed are JPG, PNG, GIF, and BMP.
- The posts you make that will be on your blog and also seen by your followers should be no more than 1,280 x 1,920 pixels and will appear as 500 x 750 pixels.
- The file size limit is 10 MB.
- Tumblr also allows you to post GIFs, however they can’t exceed 3MB or 540 pixels.